Thursday, November 17, 2011

Let's Make A Deal!

Though I’m still unemployed, there is an upside to this adventure: I get to meet people doing interesting things and I’m doing things I’ve never done before! This week, I was able to audition for a Guest Host spot on HSN, based here in Tampa Bay. It was terrifying and challenging and the kind of thing that gets your blood pumping. The hallways were crowded with merchandise and amazing looking food…and it was like being on a movie set with a number of different studios down every hall. I practiced my pitch for an entire day before presenting “on camera“ and I’m pretty happy with how I did! It could be weeks or months before I hear back from them but I’m grateful to friends who helped me get my foot in the door. Personal connections and contacts are everything in this economy and auditioning for a job on TV was a great experience!

Late last week I got word from a TV station in Tampa and a radio station in San Francisco that I didn’t get the job(s). Disappointing, but every interview I go to, every Program Director I talk to, gets me closer to that next job. In fact, station #1 in San Francisco didn’t think I was a fit but gave my resume and demo to station #2 down the hall and we had a very positive conversation. They may be looking to make a change in the next month or so! There are jobs opening up out there, one by one.

Unemployment has definitely become a waiting game. I have a few friends in similar situations to mine in the industry and there is a lot of talk of things that “may” happen. I’ve had colleagues call and email telling me there’s something “coming up” that they want to hire me for. But what’s really going on behind the scenes? I don’t know. I know there are job openings out there. It seems, though, that employers are very slow to pull the trigger. Are they waiting until after the holidays? Is there a hiring freeze until the 1st Quarter of 2012? Are they buying time? Probably. The good news is that I’m seeing many of you reporting new jobs and interviews on Facebook! I’m glad to see that happening before the holidays! And I’m glad I have enough cash to get myself into the next year so that I don’t do anything desperate.

And the big news I’d hoped I could share with you today? I still can’t because a deal is not a deal until all the finer points have been agreed to and the ink is dry. I’ve seen crazy, last minute things happen in this business so I‘m cautiously optimistic. But I can tell you this - I’ve had a couple job offers! I think one, in particular, is a fantastic job opportunity, a great career move for me personally, and I will be very excited to tell you the specifics when the time comes. Until then, I’m still sending out the resumes and talking to all interested parties. You can’t let up when you need a job to pay the bills and you want to work. Until next week, at least, the Champagne is on ice.

Keep The Faith!

Corey Dylan


Companies hiring for the holidays
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2800-Job-Search-15-companies-hiring-for-the-holidays/?SiteId=cbmsnmn42800&sc_extcmp=JS_2800_money&ocid=vt_fbmsnmon

Looking for Career advice?
www.asktheheadhunter.com

How To Negotiate For A Better Salary, Even Now
http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/23/jobs-salary-negotiating-leadership-careers-basics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment