Thursday, January 19, 2012

What doesn't kill you...?


It turns out that there may actually be an Upside to Unemployment and there’s research to back it up!  Losing a job, moving, even divorce - when life comes at you hard you just have to tell yourself “it’s temporary” because new research suggests that the hard times do, in fact, make you stronger.  You will come through this difficult time and be better for the experience.

Going through something difficult, science has found, changes your body and mind so the next time something comes at you sideways you’re less likely to be overwhelmed.  I think this may be why I handled my recent unemployment like a break and a chance to reinvent myself the second time around.  I wasn’t as stressed as I was ten years ago when I was told my by employer that they were “moving in another direction” that didn’t include me.

Be grateful for the difficulties of your past because they’ve instilled coping skills, hopefully you built a network of people you can turn to and lean on and you’ve even experienced “cell growth in brain areas relevant for coping.”  These are all things your next employer will benefit from!

Read more:  http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/13/10138835-the-surprising-upside-to-hitting-hard-times

If your job loss is recent or if you’ve been looking so long you don’t remember the last time you were late to a meeting there’s always an opportunity to make sure you’ve covered your bases and you’re up on the “latest” when it comes to the job hunt, your resume, and interview skills.

Even though I’ve landed a great job I’m still working on my website, looking for ways develop my skills to make more money in my field, and networking.  Networking continues to be the most important thing you can do and there are so many more ways to network then there were just a few years ago.  Social Media is here for good and because of it employers now want to see you sometimes hear from you, in addition to seeing what you look like on paper. This article on Career Builder has great tips on how to make yourself relevant to the employer in the year 2012!

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2862-Cover-Letters-Resumes-R%C3%A9sum%C3%A9s-in-2012-Whats-old-whats-new/?SiteId=cbmsnhp42862&sc_extcmp=JS_2862_home1

It’s a new year and you WILL land that new job.  Be open to change.  Be flexible.  Be determined.


Keep the faith!

Corey Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment