Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year, Clean Slate, NEW Blog Post!

That stretch between Thanksgiving and New Year’s is especially hectic so this is the first chance I’ve had to write a new blog in weeks! With the New Year comes renewed hope that our lives will improve and that employers will start hiring again!

Floridians have a particularly tough road ahead with the real estate market gasping for breath, politicians politicking, and too many still out of work. This is why I didn’t wait around for a hand out. In this economy you have to be bold and it’s my intention to keep up the push for more work in the coming year even though I’ve landed a full time job.

In a recent survey conducted by the Tampa Bay Times & Bay News 9, more than ½ of us in the Bay Area expect our economic situation to stay about the same. Last month they called 508 Bay Area residents to ask them how they felt about their economic prospects and the general feeling I came away with after reading the article: we’re nervous.

See the article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1208244.ece

I was nervous too when I was unemployed at the and of last year but I felt like I had nothing to lose by marketing myself and making as much noise as I could about being unemployed. Ironically, I had everything to lose; house, car, rental, savings, etc. I guess when you think losing everything is an option you’re motivated to do everything you can to keep it! Today I am rebuilding: my career, my savings account, and working hard!

The poll also gave residents a number of what they called “remedies” to the situation and the most popular fox was spending tax dollars and financial incentives to bring more jobs to the Bay Area. Chances are these won’t be the same jobs you may have worked in the past so it’s crucial to market yourself as someone who can get ANY job done. Focus on the positive and your strengths.

Governor Scott campaigned for months on the slogan, “Let’s Get Back to Work!” And he promised those jobs would come soon. I didn’t have the luxury to wait to see if his plan worked or what it might mean. Like most Floridians I needed work NOW. I’ve never been the type that relied on someone else for much of anything. In part, I got lucky, but it wasn’t without putting myself “out there,” in the right places in and in front of the right people.

I’m reminded of that Will Smith movie, “Happyness,” and I was inspired that when he desperately needed to make money he sought out someone who WAS making money and DID what that guy did. Be relentless.
If you were put out of work in 2011 you have the chance to start a new job with a clean slate. It’s a great opportunity! And in this economy “opportunity” is what you’re looking for rather than simply a “job.” Employers are always conservative when predicting hiring needs but experts are optimistic that they WILL be doing more hiring in the coming year. And I can say that I’m seeing more and more people that were on the sidelines with me get hired too so stay positive!

I recommend reading my past Blog entries and here are a couple articles that should help you as you continue or start your job search in 2012:

8 Job-related Smart Phone Apps
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-2850-Job-Info-and-Trends-8-job-related-smartphone-apps/?SiteId=cbmsnhp42850&sc_extcmp=JS_2850_home1

Oddball Interview Questions from 2011
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2011/12/top-25-oddball-job-interview.html

Until next time keep the faith!
Corey Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment