Thursday, August 11, 2011

Firing good people is stupid - just ask the experts!


While it’s stressful not knowing where my next paycheck is coming from I’ve worked in this business long enough and learned the hard way that you have to have money saved. Money comes and money goes in everyone’s life and when it goes, you’d better be prepared. The problem today is that we have to be prepared to be out of work longer than ever but most Americans don’t even have $1000 in the bank to cover an emergency expense!!! (1)

You’re not the only one in debt though. Most of the big radio companies are millions, even billions of dollars in debt because they too were living on credit and they continue to drive it into a ditch. As my colleague, Mason Dixon, said in this week’s St. Petersburg Times article, “radio ate itself” and it continues to chew away, much to my dismay. (2)

Modern management thinks the answer to long-term problems is layoffs. Look how much money we’re saving!!! Oops. Short-sighted, boys. The latest collection of research says that reducing staff means INCREASED costs long-term, not to mention you‘re burning out the employees you still have. Read more about it here:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/collections/201107/is-the-economic-downturn-in-our-heads/the-american-way-unemployment

Layoffs don’t increase profits long term. And morale? The people I left behind are living in fear of losing their jobs. Many have also confided that they’ve finally had it with the “business” of radio. Their hearts are no longer in it and I know you can‘t win if you don‘t believe in what you‘re trying to achieve. While my future is uncertain I’m actually still really excited about radio and the media! I have a renewed love for what I do and I can’t wait to see what’s next. I’ve talked to people who love what they do too and are at the top of their game. I’m certain that good things are ahead for you too but you have to play on the right team. Is your Pied Piper leading you down the right path? If they think layoffs are the answer it’s likely they’re shooting themselves in the foot. .

Everyone asks me, ‘Did you know they were going to flip formats?’ Not exactly, but I was in a situation where I was told that I was the only one that cared about the radio station and for that reason the station suffered. Does any team stand a chance when the only one that cares is the cheerleader? I really appreciate the support 101.5 The Point’s listeners have given me during this time. I’m sorry that you feel as if no one cared about you and your love for the 80s/90s genre. We had the most passionate, intelligent audience I’ve ever experienced in radio.

More than a month into my unemployment I can honestly say I’m enjoying it. I’ve been here before and there’s no use in worrying about things you can’t control. If you use the time wisely to improve your skills, network, and put out your feelers for a new job you don’t have time to feel sorry for yourself and you‘ll land the next job more quickly. I’m enjoying the time spent with friends, the vacation I took to celebrate my birthday, and I love talking to the best in the business. So many doors are opening and I’m the kind of person who loves to try new things! I think you have to flexible too. Sometimes life gives you a little “shove.” Why not enjoy the ride and see where it takes you? It might be the best experience of your life and you just might land your dream job!

Keep the Faith!
Corey Dylan

(1)
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/pf/emergency_fund/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

(2)
http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/article1184324.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment